The new 15th edition of the Mental Health Act Manual was published in September 2012 and is available to order now. The new edition is an essential guide to the Mental Health Act for mental health and legal professionals, providing clear instructions on the Act and how it governs their working practices.
The latest edition covers the advances in this rapidly changing area of law due to the number of judicial reviews, amount of case law and developments concerning the European Convention on Human Rights.
• A new Practice Direction for the First-tier Tribunal issued by the Senior President of Tribunals
• Amendments made to the Act by the Health and Social Care Act 2012
• New cases on the meaning of "consultation" in s.11
• The inclusion of extracts from Procedure for the Transfer from Custody of Children and Young People to and from Hospital under the Mental Health Act 1983 in England and from Applications to Attend the Hearing by Victims covered by the Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004
• A new section on "Dealing with domestic squalor and/or dangerous premises"
• Amendments made to the Tribunal Rules by the Tribunal Procedure (Amendment) Rules 2012
• A number of new cases from the European Court of Human Rights including MS v United Kingdom where it was held that the detention under s.136 of a patient in a police cell breeched article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights
There is also consideration of a large number of new cases on the Act including:
o Coombs v Dorset NHS Primary Care Trust
o R. (on the application of Sessay) v South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust)
o R. (on the application of Sunderland City Council) v South Tyneside Council
o DD v Durham County Council
o DN v Northumberland Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
For more information or to order your copy visit sweetandmaxwell.co.uk/mental-health