The theme of this year's International Women's Day [8 March] is 'Make it Happen', encouraging effective action for advancing and recognising the work of women. In honour of this, CoolTan have prepared a day of free workshops, discussions, and wellbeing-promoting activities as well as an exclusive art exhibition and short film screening.
The full itinerary of events is as follows:
Workshops from 1-6pm:
Workshops are free, informal and run on a drop in basis. No need to pre book.
- A talk from our self-advocacy group on women and mental health.
- A drop-in health check for women of all ages, helping to increase awareness of the many health issues affecting women.
- A fun exercise class run by one of our energetic volunteers!
- A craft workshop where you can try a variety of crafts - from t-shirt printing to different forms of sewing and knitting, both traditional and with more modern and experimental materials, including wearable LED lights!
- The screening of a documentary on feminism in the 21st century, leading into a group discussion and debate.
Art Exhibition Opening 6-8pm:
Stay on for the opening of our new exhibition for International Women’s Day ‘21st Century Women’.
Finally in the evening CoolTan will be hosting an art viewing and open mic session, where there will be the opportunity not only to view the artwork created by CoolTan artists but hear some of their poetry and music.
All work displayed has been especially produced for this exhibition by CoolTan Arts workshop participants. The exhibition opens the following day, 5th March, and will run until 30th April 10am-5pm.
CoolTan Arts is committed to enhancing women’s mental wellbeing through arts involvement. Their Women’s Day celebration is an annual event in the calendar and since 2002, the weekly workshop ‘Women Make Art’ has run with the aim of offering women with mental distress a safe environment to express themselves creatively.
To find out more www.cooltanarts.org.uk